Q. Which of the following statements about Australia’s international borders and the Covid-19 hotel quarantine system for returning travellers is closest to your view?
|Total||Federal Voting Intention|
|Labor||TOTAL: Coalition||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|It should be the federal government’s responsibility to protect Australia’s international borders and manage the hotel quarantine system||62%||63%||59%||57%||67%|
|It should be each state governments’ responsibility to quarantine travellers returning within their borders and the federal government should be left out of this||38%||37%||41%||43%||33%|
- More people think it should be the federal government’s responsibility to protect Australia’s international borders and manage the hotel quarantine system, than those who think it should be each state governments’ responsibility to quarantine travellers returning within their borders (62% to 38%).
- The view that this should be a federal rather than state government responsibility is consistent across all voting intentions.
Q. Information released by health authorities suggests that Victoria’s Covid-19 outbreak started with breaches in hotel quarantine. Which of the following is closer to your view…?
|VICTORIA ONLY||Gender||Age group||Location|
|This is mostly about individuals being irresponsible, and the focus should be on forcing them to be more responsible||56%||52%||61%||62%||63%||46%||55%||62%|
|This is mostly about failures in the system, with jobs in the security industry being insecure and workers not being given enough training||44%||48%||39%||38%||37%||54%||45%||38%|
- More than half of Victorians believe the breaches in quarantine are mostly about individuals being irresponsible (56%) than failures in the system (44%).
- Women (61%) and 18-34 year olds (62%) are more likely to think this is about individuals, while men (48%) and those over 55 (54%) believe this is a systemic issue.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Confidence in Labor government handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- Satisfaction with speed of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- Party most responsible for slow vaccine rollout