Q. If there was more competition between Australian banks, do you think this would stop the banks increasing interest rates by more than the Reserve Bank rate increases?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens|
47% think that if there was more competition between Australian banks, this would stop the banks increasing interest rates by more than the Reserve Bank rate increases while 31% disagree.
Older people and those on lower incomes were split in their opinions – for those aged 55+, 41% agreed and 38% disagreed while 41% of those on incomes under $600pw disagreed and 38% agreed.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation