Q. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements about relations with the USA?
|TOTAL: Agree||TOTAL: Disagree||Strongly agree||Somewhat agree||Somewhat disagree||Strongly disagree||Unsure|
|It is important for the Prime Minister to have a good relationship with the US President, whoever they might be, for the good of the nation||72%||18%||36%||36%||12%||6%||10%|
|The Trump Presidency has diminished the USA’s reputation||65%||21%||43%||23%||13%||8%||14%|
|The US is less relevant to Australia’s interests than it has been in the past||54%||31%||19%||35%||22%||9%||15%|
|The Trump Presidency has been good for Australia||32%||48%||13%||19%||21%||27%||20%|
- Regardless of the result on Tuesday, almost three-quarters of people agree that it is important for the Prime Minister to have a good relationship with the US President, whoever they might be, for the good of the nation (72%).
- 65% agree that the Trump Presidency has diminished the USA’s reputation and just 32% agree that the Trump Presidency has been good for Australia.
If the mid-term drubbings and G20 currency fisticuffs with China are not enough, Barack Obama will return home with more bad news: Australians think his nation has lost its mojo.
While Julia Gillard and entourage were all smiles at the official photo call, they politely chose not to disclose they were representing a nation that thinks the USA is in decline.
In fact, 60 per cent of all surveyed in this week’s Essential Report see the American Empire’s influence becoming weaker, with just 20 per cent believing the USA’s influence on the world is on the rise.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people