Q. For each of the following forms of gambling, which do you think need more or less regulation?
|Needs more regulation||Needs less regulation||Current regulation is about right||Don’t know|
|Online gambling in general||68%||4%||16%||12%|
|Betting on sport e.g. football, cricket||46%||4%||36%||14%|
|Betting on horse racing||37%||4%||47%||13%|
About two thirds of respondents think there should be more regulation of online gambling (68%) and poker machines (62%). 53% think that casinos need more regulation.
Differences by voting intention were –
- Liberal/National voters were less likely to favour more regulation of casinos (47%) and poker machines (55%)
- More regulation of poker machines was more strongly favoured by Greens (74%) and Labor (65%) voters.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation