Q. How frequently do you use technology platforms like Google and social media to search for and read news articles?
|At least daily||49%||52%|
|At least once a week||24%||22%|
|At least once a month||7%||8%|
|Less frequently than one a month||10%||6%|
|At least daily||49%||51%||58%||38%|
|At least once a week||24%||28%||25%||20%|
|At least once a month||7%||10%||6%||5%|
|Less frequently than one a month||10%||7%||6%||17%|
- Just under half (49%) of adult Australians use Google and social media to search and read news on a daily basis (down 3 percentage points since Sep’20). A further 24% use these platforms at least weekly.
- People aged 35-54 are the heaviest consumers of news through Google and social media, with 58% using these platforms on a daily basis.
Q. To what extent would you support or oppose the following measures if they were introduced to regulate big tech companies?
|TOTAL: Support||Total||Gender||Age Group||Federal Voting Intention|
|Male||Female||18-34||35-54||55+||Labor||TOTAL: Coalition||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|Force tech companies to remove misinformation and disinformation from their platforms||76%||74%||77%||70%||69%||87%||75%||76%||85%||75%|
|Require tech companies to let you know all the information about you they hold and give you the right to remove it from their servers||76%||75%||76%||70%||71%||85%||78%||77%||81%||72%|
|Prevent tech companies from selling your personal information to other companies||79%||79%||79%||73%||75%||88%||78%||80%||85%||80%|
|Enforce upon tech companies the payment of tax on all Australians earnings||69%||73%||65%||57%||64%||84%||71%||71%||67%||74%|
- Support is highest among those over 55 towards preventing tech companies from selling your personal information to other companies (88% compared to 75% of those 35-54 and 73% of those 18-34).
- Those over 55 are also more likely to strongly support the measure to force tech companies to remove misinformation and disinformation from their platforms than younger cohorts (68% to 46% 35-54 and 44% 18-34).
- While support is high overall towards requiring tech companies to let you know all the information about you they hold and give you the right to remove it from their servers, again, those over 55 are more likely to strongly support this than younger audiences (63% to 51% 35-54 and 46% those 18-34).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Confidence in Labor government handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- Satisfaction with speed of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- Party most responsible for slow vaccine rollout