Q. Have you personally ever taken part in any of the following…?
|Signed an online petition||44%||39%||48%||45%||44%||42%|
|Signed a written petition||39%||37%||41%||33%||34%||50%|
|Attended a march or rally||17%||18%||16%||24%||12%||16%|
|Gone on strike from work||13%||18%||8%||13%||10%||14%|
|Signed up to an online political campaign||10%||11%||10%||16%||9%||7%|
|None of these||37%||39%||35%||31%||41%||39%|
|NET: Any of these||63%||61%||65%||69%||59%||61%|
- Almost two-thirds (63%) of people have ever participated in a protest activity – either attending a strike or rally, or signing up to a petition or campaign.
- Signing online and written petitions are the most popular forms of protest (44% and 39% respectively have done this). Less than a fifth have ever a march or rally (17%) and 13% have been on strike.
- Women are more likely than men to have signed petitions (48% to 39% for online petitions and 41% to 37% for written petitions), while men are more likely to have been on strike (18% to 8%).
- People aged 18-34 are more likely than other to have attended a protest or rally (24% compared to 14% of those aged 35+).
|Signed an online petition||44%||43%||37%||71%||59%|
|Signed a written petition||39%||37%||39%||51%||50%|
|Attended a march or rally||17%||16%||13%||43%||21%|
|Gone on strike from work||13%||17%||10%||12%||12%|
|Signed up to an online political campaign||10%||11%||9%||18%||13%|
|None of these||37%||38%||39%||18%||31%|
|NET: Any of these||63%||62%||61%||82%||69%|
- Greens voters are most likely to have participated in any activity (82%), with signing online petitions (71%), written petitions (51%) and attending marches or rallies (43%) being most popular.
- Those with a university education are more likely to have participated in protest activities are (69% to 60% of all others). They are more likely to have attended a march or rally (24% to 14%), gone on strike (18% to 10%) and signed up to an online campaign (16% to 8%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention