Q. To what extent are you concerned about these possible impacts of the Covid-19?
|NET: CONCERNED (VERY/SOMEWHAT)||27/04||20/04||13/04|
|The Australian economy as a whole||85%||87%||85%|
|General unemployment if companies are forced out of business||83%||83%||79%|
|The physical health of close family members||69%||74%||73%|
|The impact on my superannuation, savings or investments||63%||67%||63%|
|My close family members’ mental health||60%||64%||61%|
|My physical health and catching the virus||59%||64%||62%|
|My economic situation if I lose my job or have less work||57%||59%||58%|
|Children’s development by missing out on school||52%||56%||52%|
|My ability to buy food and essential items if stores run out||50%||58%||58%|
|My mental health as a result of social distancing||47%||50%||47%|
|Very concerned||Quite concerned||Not that concerned||Not at all concerned||Unsure|
|The Australian economy as a whole||47%||38%||11%||2%||2%|
|General unemployment if companies are forced out of business||41%||42%||11%||4%||2%|
|The physical health of close family members||32%||37%||23%||7%||2%|
|The impact on my superannuation, savings or investments||32%||32%||21%||11%||5%|
|My close family members’ mental health||23%||37%||26%||12%||2%|
|My physical health and catching the virus||25%||33%||29%||11%||2%|
|My economic situation if I lose my job or have less work||29%||28%||19%||18%||7%|
|Children’s development by missing out on school||20%||32%||26%||13%||8%|
|My ability to buy food and essential items if stores run out||18%||32%||33%||33%||14%|
|My mental health as a result of social distancing||20%||26%||28%||23%||2%|
- Economic issues are still the most concerning consequences of the Covid-19 crisis – 47% say they are very concerned about the economy as a whole and 41% are very concerned about general unemployment.
- Those aged 18-34 are more likely than other age groups to be concerned about the impact on their mental health (29% very concerned, 17% 35+), their close family members’ mental health (30%, 20% 35+) and their ability to buy food (27%, 15% 35+).
- Concern for children is highest among those in households with dependent children (31% are very concerned).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal voting intention
- Leader attributes: Scott Morrison
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Reason those who would get vaccinated against Covid-19 have not been vaccinated yet
- Speed of NSW lockdown
- Time for Covid-19 milestones to occur for NSW
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention