Q. Which, if any, of the following types of organisations do you currently volunteer for?
|Total||18-34||35-54||55+||In paid employment||Not in paid employment||Retired|
|Organisations providing support services, such as volunteer fire services, animal rescue and other charities||16%||25%||11%||12%||18%||10%||13%|
|Sports clubs or arts-based organisations||14%||22%||10%||10%||17%||10%||9%|
|Volunteer organisations linked with schools (e.g. reading support)||11%||16%||13%||5%||16%||6%||5%|
|Organisations promoting causes, such as environmental groups, political campaigns||10%||18%||9%||5%||14%||6%||6%|
|Church or faith-based organisations||9%||11%||9%||8%||10%||7%||9%|
|Community organisations, such as Scouts or historical societies||9%||14%||5%||7%||10%||6%||10%|
|None of these||59%||44%||64%||66%||53%||71%||62%|
- 41% of participants volunteer at one of the listed organisations – with organisations providing support services (16%) most frequently selected.
- 18-34 year olds, university educated and participants working in paid employment are more likely to volunteer for any listed organisation.
- Capital city residents and those with dependent children are more likely to volunteer at an organisation linked with schools (13% and 18% respectively) or promoting causes (12% and 14%) than non-capital city residents (both 7%) and those without dependent children (7% and 8%).
- Greens voters are most likely to volunteer for an organisation providing support services (27%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention