Q. Which of the following types of organisations have you ever been a member of?
Q. Which of the following types of organisations are you currently a member of?
Q. And which of the following types of organisations have you joined in the last 12 months?
|Ever been a member||Currently a member||Joined in last 12 months|
|Service organisation like Rotary, Lions, Apex, etc||9%||4%||1%|
|School organisation e.g. parents club, school council||22%||4%||2%|
|Local community group||21%||11%||3%|
|Special interest or hobby group e.g. gardening, birdwatching, chess, etc||20%||10%||3%|
56% say they are currently members of an organisation and 20% say they have joined an organisation in the last 12 months. The most popular types of organisations are sports clubs (17% members) religions/churches (13%) and professional organisations (13%). Membership of organisations is slightly lower for those aged under 35 (53%) and a little higher for those aged 55+ (58%). 59% of men and 53% of women say they are members of an organisation.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation