Q. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements regarding sexual assault allegations against federal politicians and staffers?
|TOTAL: Agree||Total||Gender||Age Group||Federal Voting Intention|
|Male||Female||18-34||35-54||55+||Labor||TOTAL: Coalition||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|This is just a Canberra insider story||16%||23%||9%||13%||23%||12%||11%||21%||12%||24%|
|What is happening in Canberra is relevant to all women||68%||62%||75%||56%||72%||75%||77%||66%||71%||63%|
|It’s time women were believed when they say they have been assaulted||67%||58%||76%||59%||69%||71%||76%||64%||69%||55%|
|Because the charge of rape is so serious, the burden of proof needs to be high||62%||66%||59%||51%||64%||71%||59%||74%||43%||61%|
- There is widespread agreement that what is happening in Canberra is relevant to all women (68%) and it’s time women were believed when they say they have been assaulted (67%). Over a third of people strongly agree with each statement (38% and 36% respectively).
- Agreement with these two statements is high overall, but highest among women (75% and 76% respectively), those over 55 (75% and 71% respectively) and Labor voters (77% and 76% respectively).
- 62% agree that because the charge of rape is so serious, the burden of proof needs to be high. While 59% of women agree with this statement, agreement is higher among men (66%). Agreement with this statement is also high among those over 55 (71%) and Coalition voters (74%).
- Just 16% of people agree the recent sexual assault allegations against federal politicians and staffers is just a Canberra insider story.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Confidence in Labor government handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- Satisfaction with speed of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- Party most responsible for slow vaccine rollout