Essential Report Download this weeks Report
Q. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements about gender equality in Australia?
|TOTAL: Agree||Mar’21||Change from Jun’20||Jun’20||Sep’18||Mar’16|
|Gender equality, meaning that men and women are equal, has come far enough already||45%||-2%||47%||47%||38%|
|Gender equality has already been mostly achieved||50%||-1%||51%||47%||41%|
|Work to achieve gender equality today benefits mostly well-to-do people||60%||+4%||56%||45%||39%|
|There should be laws that require equal salaries for men and women in the same position||83%||+3%||80%||78%||78%|
|Although there has been significant progress on gender equality there is still a long way to go||76%||+5%||71%||66%||71%|
- 76% of people agree that although there has been significant progress on gender equality there is still a long way to go (up 5 percentage points since June last year) and consistent with the upwards trend since Sep’18.
- 60% now think work to achieve gender equality today benefits mostly well-to-do people and 83% think there should be laws that require equal salaries for men and women in the same position. Agreement towards these statements has risen slightly by 4 and 3 percentage points respectively since Jun’20.
- Slightly fewer think gender equality has come far enough already (down 2 percentage points to 45%) and half (50%) still think gender equality has already been mostly achieved.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Confidence in Labor government handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- Satisfaction with speed of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- Party most responsible for slow vaccine rollout
2PP Abbott ALP Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten budget Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics federal politics voting intention Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention