Q. In a recent speech, Scott Morrison stated Australia’s goal is to “…reach net zero emissions as soon as possible, and preferably by 2050”.
However, the Prime Minister did not formally commit to this goal or specify how the federal government plans to achieve it.
‘Net zero’ carbon emissions means a situation when Australia’s carbon emissions become less than or equal to the amount of carbon we are removing from the atmosphere.
Which of the following is closer to your view?
|Total||Federal Voting Intention|
|Labor||TOTAL: Coalition||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|We need to set a target for when we will get carbon emissions down to ‘net zero’, and worry about setting dates for reductions along the way later||32%||36%||31%||38%||33%|
|It is more important that we set realistic targets for reducing our emissions by 2030, than having a target date for achieving net zero||58%||57%||57%||62%||50%|
|We shouldn’t have targets for reducing carbon emissions||9%||7%||12%||1%||17%|
- Most people prefer the government to set concrete targets for reducing emissions, rather than setting a target date for achieving net zero emissions in the future.
- Over half (58%) of people think it is more important that we set realistic targets for reducing our emissions by 2030, than having a target date for achieving net zero. This is the prevalent view across all voting intentions.
- Just over a third (32%) think we need to set a target for when we will get carbon emissions down to ‘net zero’, and worry about setting dates for reductions along the way later. 9% think we shouldn’t have targets for reducing carbon emissions.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Better leadership during Covid-19 – PM vs state leader
- Attitudes towards Craig Kelly controversy and Scott Morrison’s leadership
- Views towards federal vs state government responsibility to manage Covid-19 hotel quarantine system