Q. Australia migration intake is currently made up of about 190,000 permanent migrants each year and more than one million people here on temporary visas at any given time. For each of the following classes of migration would you like to see more or fewer?
|More||Fewer||No change||Don’t know|
|Short-term business visas||13%||34%||36%||16%|
|Short-term student visas||19%||29%||39%||13%|
|Short-term working holiday visas||16%||33%||38%||13%|
|Skilled working visas||22%||36%||29%||13%|
|Short-term working visas (eg 457s)||12%||47%||26%||15%|
|Permanent family reunion||22%||34%||30%||14%|
47% think there should be fewer short-tern working visas and 46% want fewer permanent refugees. About one third wanted fewer in each of the other visa categories. Respondents were more likely to want no change in short-term student visas (39%), short-term working holiday visas (38%) and short-term business visas (36%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal voting intention
- Leader attributes: Scott Morrison
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Reason those who would get vaccinated against Covid-19 have not been vaccinated yet
- Speed of NSW lockdown
- Time for Covid-19 milestones to occur for NSW