Essential Report Download this weeks Report
Q. How much trust do you have in the following institutions and organisations?
|TOTAL: Trust||Mar’21||Change since Aug’20||Aug’20|
|Australia’s border security agencies||72%||5%||67%|
|State & federal health authorities||70%||1%||69%|
|State or territory government||66%||6%||60%|
|Police, courts and the justice system||64%||No change||64%|
|The Commonwealth public service||57%||1%||56%|
|News on commercial TV & radio||45%||No change||45%|
|Have a lot of trust||Have some trust||Have little trust||Have no trust at all||Unsure|
|Australia’s border security agencies||72%||24%||28%||44%||18%||6%||3%|
|State & federal health authorities||70%||27%||25%||45%||20%||7%||3%|
|State or territory government||66%||31%||22%||45%||21%||10%||2%|
|Police, courts and the justice system||64%||34%||21%||43%||24%||10%||2%|
|The Commonwealth public service||57%||38%||12%||45%||29%||8%||5%|
|News on commercial TV & radio||45%||52%||8%||36%||36%||16%||3%|
- People currently have the most trust in Australia’s border security agencies (72%) and state and federal health authorities (70%). Trust in border security agencies has seen a 5% point increase since August last year and trust in health authorities is unchanged.
- Trust in state or territory governments comes in as the third most trusted institution (66%), having increased by 6% points since last August. Trust in police, courts and the justice system follows closely behind (64%).
- 57% of people trust the Commonwealth public service, and just over half (54%) trust the federal parliament, both are consistent with levels seen last August.
- 59% trust the ABC, more than the proportion who trust commercial TV and radio news (54%). Print media is the least trusted institution with only just over a third (35%) of people trusting it.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this week's Report
Two Party Preferred:
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Confidence in Labor government handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- Satisfaction with speed of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- Party most responsible for slow vaccine rollout
2PP Abbott ALP Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten budget Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics federal politics voting intention Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention