Q. Do you think Tony Abbott should –
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other|
|Stay in Parliament on the backbench||21%||22%||26%||18%||19%|
|Stay in Parliament and be given a Ministry||25%||11%||43%||13%||29%|
|Resign from Parliament||37%||51%||18%||63%||38%|
37% think that Tony Abbott should resign from Parliament, 25% think he should stay in Parliament and be given a ministry and 21% think he should stay in Parliament on the backbench.
51% of Labor voters and 63% of Greens voters think he should resign while 43% of Liberal/National voters think he should remain and be given a ministry.
A similar question asked in March found that 47% thought Tony Abbott should resign immediately or at the next election, 18% thought he should stay and be given a ministry and 15% thought he should stay on the backbench.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation