Q. Thinking about the future, how long do you think it will take for the following to occur?
|APRIL 2021||Within the next six months||Seven months up to one year||One to two years||More than two years||Never|
|The Covid-19 vaccine rollout will be completed in Australia||7%||23%||42%||21%||7%|
|Quarantine will no longer be required after international travel||8%||15%||37%||31%||9%|
|The housing market will return pre-pandemic levels||16%||17%||30%||22%||15%|
|International travel will be allowed without restriction||7%||14%||32%||40%||8%|
|Unemployment will return to pre-pandemic levels||10%||20%||34%||27%||9%|
|Australia will pay off its national debt||5%||8%||11%||42%||34%|
|JULY 2020||Within the next six months||Seven months up to one year||One to two years||More than two years||Never|
|A Covid-19 vaccine will be developed||9%||21%||43%||20%||6%|
|Quarantine will no longer required after international travel||7%||17%||38%||32%||6%|
|The housing market will return pre-pandemic levels||7%||15%||35%||38%||5%|
|International travel will be allowed without restriction||6%||14%||36%||38%||6%|
|Unemployment will return to pre-pandemic levels||6%||13%||27%||48%||6%|
|Australia will pay off its national debt||5%||6%||14%||53%||23%|
- Current expectations of when the Covid-19 vaccine rollout will be completed in Australia mirrors expectations in July 2020 of when a Covid-19 vaccine will be developed. The largest cohort (42%) think the rollout will be completed in one to two years, reflecting the 43% last July who thought a Covid-19 vaccine would be developed in one to two years.
- People are now more optimistic that the housing market will return to pre-pandemic levels, with 16% who currently think this will happen within the next six months, compared to the 7% who thought this last July.
- People are also now more hopeful that unemployment will return to pre-pandemic levels, with 20% now thinking this could happen in seven months up to one year (20%) or one to two years (34%).
- However, over a third (34%) now think Australia will never pay off its national debt, with the majority (42%) thinking this will take more than two years.
- Current expectations of when quarantine will no longer be required after international travel and when international travel will be allowed without restriction also align with expectations last July, with most people thinking this will take one to two years or more than two years.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention