Q. Thinking about the future, how long do you think it will take for the following to occur?
|LAST MONTH (22/06)||Within the next six months||Seven months up to one year||One to two years||More than two years||Never|
|A Covid-19 vaccine will be developed||11%||22%||43%||20%||4%|
|Quarantine will no longer required after international travel||12%||27%||35%||22%||4%|
|The housing market will return pre-pandemic levels||11%||22%||38%||25%||4%|
|International travel will be allowed without restriction||10%||23%||39%||24%||4%|
|Unemployment will return to pre-pandemic levels||8%||17%||37%||33%||6%|
|The population will build resistance to Covid-19 through exposure (herd immunity)||8%||15%||31%||27%||20%|
|Australia will pay off its national debt||5%||9%||12%||52%||22%|
- Expectations of the effect of the Covid-19 have lengthened in the past month, with more people now thinking the impacts will last for more than two years.
- 32% expect it will be over two years before quarantine following international travel is removed (up from 22% last month). Similarly more people now think it will be over two years before housing prices (25% to 38%), unrestricted international travel (24% to 38%) and unemployment (33% to 48%) return to pre-Covid levels.
- 26% do not think a population-wide resistance to the disease will ever be achieved.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention