Q. Thinking about the state of the world economy, how do you think the Australian economy has performed over the last few years compared to other countries?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens|
|A lot better||31%||41%||27%||48%|
|A little better||39%||36%||43%||37%|
|About the same||16%||17%||15%||8%|
|A little worse||7%||4%||9%||2%|
|A lot worse||3%||1%||5%||3%|
70% think that Australia’s economy has performed better than other countries over the last few years, 16% say about the same and 10% think it has been worse.
There were no substantial differences across demographic groups although those on higher incomes are a little more likely to believe it has performed better – 76% of those on incomes over $1,600pw compared to 67% of those earning under $1,000pw.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people