Q. Australia has a compulsory voting system. Other nations like the US and UK have voluntary voting. Do you think voting in Federal and State elections should be compulsory or voluntary?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other|
|Voting should be compulsory||66%||70%||74%||72%||51%|
|Voting should be voluntary||27%||24%||24%||21%||44%|
66% thought that voting should be compulsory. Those most likely to think that voting should be compulsory were those aged 65+ (78%) and Liberal/National voters (74%).
27% thought that voting should be voluntary. Those most likely to think that voting should be voluntary were those independent/other party voters (44%), those aged 35-44 (33%) and Queenslanders (33%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation