Q. Would you support or oppose this carbon pricing scheme if the money paid by big polluting industries was used to compensate low and middle income earners for increased prices and to invest in renewable energy?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens|
Total support for the carbon pricing scheme rose sharply by 13 points to 50% when respondents were asked whether they supported the scheme if the money paid by big polluting industries was used to compensate low and middle income earners and to invest in renewable energy.
Conversely, total opposition for the scheme fell by 13% to 37% total opposed.
The reference to compensation and investment in renewables has the effect of shifting total support up by 10% amongst Labor voters (77%), up 14% amongst Lib/Nat voters and up 8% amongst Green voters.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people