Q. What do you think will be the more likely result of cutting penalty rates for hospitality and retail workers?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other||Work full time||Work part time|
|Businesses will make bigger profits||57%||73%||41%||66%||61%||60%||55%|
|Businesses will employ more workers||24%||12%||42%||12%||23%||24%||22%|
57% think that the most likely result of cutting penalty rates will be that businesses will make bigger profits. 24% think businesses will employ more workers.
Those most likely to think businesses will make more profits were Labor voters (73%) and Greens voters (66%).
Those most likely to think businesses will employ more workers were Liberal National voters (42%) and aged 65+ (41%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation