Q. As far as you know, which energy source – renewable energy like solar and wind OR fossil fuels like coal and gas – is better for each of the following?
|Renewable energy better||Fossil fuels better||No difference||Don’t know||May 2015 Renewable||May 2015 Fossil fuels|
Overall, respondents think that renewable energy is better for the environment (73%), electricity costs (41%), the economy (40%) and jobs (34%). Since this question was asked in May 2015, main changes are an increase for renewables being better for the environment (from 69% to 73%) and a decline for renewables being better for electricity costs (from 47% to 41%).
There were few substantial differences across demographic groups – other than for men who were more likely to believe fossil fuels were better for the economy (36%), jobs (32%) and electricity costs (33%).
Liberal/National voters were more likely to think fossil fuels are better for the economy (39%), jobs (37%) and electricity costs (35%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation