Q. Thinking about banking in Australia, do you think there needs to be more or less regulation of banks or is the present level of regulation about right?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens|
|Needs to be more regulation||64%||68%||67%||57%|
|Needs to be less regulation||4%||2%||5%||4%|
|Present regulation about right||20%||20%||20%||35%|
64% believe there needs to be more regulation of Australian banks and 20% think the present level of regulation is about right. Only 4% think there needs to be less regulation. Labor and Coalition voters show similar support for more regulation while Greens voters are more likely to approve of the present level regulation. 72% of those aged 45-64 want more regulation.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation