PLEASE NOTE: This question was only asked of those who said that they thought the coal industry should not expand.
Q. And which of the following best describes the main reason you think Australia should not continue to expand its coal industry?
|Economic reasons (i.e. the coal industry is not a good investment)||4%|
|Environmental reasons (i.e. to prevent climate change)||45%|
|A mix of economic and environmental reasons||49%|
For those that thought the coal industry should not expand, the largest proportion described their main reason as ‘a mix of economic and environmental reasons’ (49%), followed by a large proportion (45%) who said ‘environmental reasons’.
Just 4% selected economic reasons.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation