Q. As you may be aware, many of Australia’s coal-fired power stations are reaching the end of their operational lives and will soon need to be replaced.
Which of the following would you prefer that the government supported?
|New coal-fired power stations||15%||15%||15%|
|New gas-fired power stations||12%||14%||15%|
|Renewable energy solutions (e.g. wind and solar)||73%||71%||70%|
- The vast majority of Australians would prefer the government supported renewable energy solutions ahead of coal-fired or gas-fired power stations.
- 73% of people prefer renewable energy solutions to replace coal-fired power stations. Only 12% opt for gas-fired power stations. 15% think Australia should persist with coal-fired power stations.
|Total||Gender||Age Group||Federal Voting Intention|
|Male||Female||18-34||35-54||55+||Labor||Liberal + National||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|New coal-fired power stations||15%||18%||12%||13%||11%||19%||8%||22%||4%||25%|
|New gas-fired power stations||12%||15%||10%||11%||11%||16%||7%||17%||14%||10%|
|Renewable energy solutions (e.g. wind and solar)||73%||67%||78%||76%||78%||65%||85%||61%||82%||65%|
- The preference for renewable energy solutions is high across all gender, age and voting demographics.
- Those most supportive of renewable energy solutions include women (78%), those aged under 55 (77%), Labor voters (85%) and Greens voters (82%). The proportion of Labor voters supporting renewable energy solutions has increased from 79% since last November. The majority of Coalition voters would prefer the government to support renewable energy sources over gas or coal (61%).
- While support for new coal-fired and gas-fired power stations is low overall, the highest support for new coal-fired power stations is among Coalition voters and minor or independent party voters (22% and 25% respectively). The highest support for new gas-fired power stations is among Coalition voters and those aged over 55 (17% and 16% respectively).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation