Q. As you may be aware, there are currently two vaccines available in Australia – the Pfizer vaccine and the AstraZeneca (Oxford) vaccine.
Which of the following is closer to your view?
|Total||Gender||Age Group||Federal Voting Intention|
|Male||Female||18-29||30-49||50-69||70 and over||Labor||TOTAL: Coalition||Greens||TOTAL: Other|
|I would be willing to get either the AstraZeneca vaccine or the Pfizer vaccine||37%||48%||27%||28%||31%||40%||61%||35%||47%||32%||31%|
|I would be willing to get the AstraZeneca vaccine but not the Pfizer vaccine||3%||4%||2%||6%||4%||1%||2%||4%||4%||3%||0%|
|I would be willing to get the Pfizer vaccine but not the AstraZeneca vaccine||27%||25%||28%||26%||29%||29%||16%||31%||28%||26%||22%|
|I would not be willing to get either the AstraZeneca vaccine or the Pfizer vaccine||14%||11%||18%||15%||15%||15%||11%||13%||10%||14%||30%|
- 37% would be willing to get either the AstraZeneca vaccine or the Pfizer vaccine, however, nearly a third (27%) say they would only be willing to get the Pfizer vaccine. 14% would not be willing to get either vaccine, and 19% are unsure. Only 3% would get the AstraZeneca vaccine but not the Pfizer vaccine.
- Men are much more likely than women to be willing to get either vaccine (48% to 27% respectively); as women are more unsure (25% to 12% men).
- Willingness to get either vaccine increases with age – while 28% of those 18-29 would be willing to receive either vaccine, this increases to 61% of those 70 and over.
- Coalition voters are more likely to get either vaccine (47% to 35% Labor, 32% Greens and 31% minor and independent party voters).
- Despite the recommendation against the AstraZeneca vaccine only applying to under 50s, those 50-69 are on par with those under 50 in terms of their willingness to get the Pfizer vaccine but not the AstraZeneca vaccine. The proportion of those who would only be willing to get the Pfizer vaccine and not the AstraZeneca vaccine is consistent across all age groups under 70 – 26% of those 18-29, 29% of those 30-49, 29% of those 50-69 compared to 16% of those 70 and over would be willing to get the Pfizer vaccine only.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people