The Government intends to hold a plebiscite (a national vote) on the issue of same sex marriage. Do you think the following issues should be decided by a plebiscite or a vote in Parliament?
|Decided by Parliament||Decided by plebiscite||Don’t know|
|The size of defence force||71%||14%||16%|
|Privatisations of major Government owned assets||46%||37%||17%|
|Major tax changes||53%||30%||16%|
A majority think that the issues of euthanasia (61%) and abortion (58%) should be decided by a plebiscite.
A majority believe that the size of the defence force (71%) and major tax changes (53%) should be decided by Parliament.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation