Q. If it goes ahead, the Adani mine would be the first of nine coal mines in the Galilee Basin in Central Queensland. Which of the following statements is closest to your view?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other|
|Allow all mines to go ahead subject to environmental approvals||13%||13%||17%||11%||9%|
|Independently assess each mine proposal on its economic and environmental merit||48%||50%||58%||25%||49%|
|Ban expansion of coal mines in the Galilee Basin altogether||22%||25%||15%||46%||30%|
48% think that any new mine should be assessed on its economic and environmental merit, 22% think coal mining in the Galilee basin should be banned and 13% think all mines should go ahead subject to environmental approvals.
Those most likely to favour assessment of each proposal were LNP voters (58%) and Queenslanders (54%).
Those most likely to favour banning expansion of coal mines were Greens voters (46%) and other voters (30%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation