Q. What news stories about the campaign have you noticed?
- Two major news stories affecting the party leaders this week were the reaction to the Daily Telegraph’s story on Bill Shorten’s mother, and the egging of Scott Morrison. There was some awareness of the final leaders debate.
- Coalition messaging and advertising appears to be cutting through, as taxes were the most mentioned policy issue. Climate change was a frequently mentioned topic – more so than negative gearing, franking credits or the 5% deposit for first-time homebuyers.
- Following much coverage in previous weeks, UAP, One Nation and their respective leaders have had a relatively quiet week.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention