Q Which of the following issues are the most important for the Federal Government to address over the next 12 months?
|Improve the health system||38%||+6||32%|
|Create jobs and reduce unemployment||31%||-5||36%|
|Protection of the environment||29%||+2||27%|
|Reduce utility bills||23%||-4||27%|
|Promote renewable energy||22%||+3||19%|
|Improve wages and working conditions||21%||-3||24%|
|Limit the amount of migration to Australia||20%||+1||19%|
|Increase housing affordability||19%||–||19%|
|Crack-down on tax avoidance by big companies||17%||+1||16%|
|Maintain strong border protection||15%||+3||12%|
|Provide tax cuts||13%||-2||15%|
|Ensure the security of energy supply||11%||-2||13%|
|Combat domestic crime||11%||+1||10%|
|Provide more money for education||10%||-1||11%|
|Combat international crime and terrorism||7%||-1||8%|
|Increase the budget surplus||6%||–||6%|
|Improve conditions for refugees and asylum seekers||5%||-1||6%|
- The top three most important issues for the Federal Government to address over the next 12 months are improving the health system (38%), creating jobs and reducing unemployment (31%) and protecting the environment (29%).
- Improving the health system (now 38%, was 32%) is ahead of creating jobs and reducing unemployment (now 31%, was 36%) compared to October ‘19.
- Reducing utility bills is also less important now (23%) than it was in October ‘19 (27%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation