Q. If you had to choose, which of the following tax reforms to raise more funds for Government services and infrastructure would you favour?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote Other|
|Increasing the GST||35%||29%||47%||34%||34%|
|Increasing the Medicare levy||33%||40%||26%||39%||33%|
Given the choice of increasing the GST or increasing the Medicare levy, 35% favour increasing the GST and 33% favour increasing the Medicare levy. 32% could not choose.
Labor voters favoured increasing the Medicare levy (40%) while Liberal/National voters favoured increasing the GST (47%).
Those on low incomes (under $600 pw) favoured increasing the Medicare levy (45% to 22%) while those on higher incomes ($1,600+ pw) favoured increasing the GST (50% to 27%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation