Q. To raise more Government revenue to maintain services and reduce debt, which of the following actions would you favour most?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other||Nov 2015|
|Increase income taxes||29%||39%||21%||42%||30%||27%|
|Increase the GST||22%||16%||37%||14%||13%||26%|
|Expand the GST to cover food, health and education||12%||12%||16%||8%||9%||14%|
To raise more Government revenue to maintain services and reduce debt, 29% favoured increasing income taxes, 22% favoured increasing the GST, and 12% expanding the coverage of the GST. This indicates a small shift away from making changes to the GST since this question was asked in November.
Liberal/National voters (37%) were more inclined to favour increasing the GST while Labor voters (39%) and Greens voters (42%) favoured increasing income tax.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation