Q. It has been proposed that the states and territories be allowed to charge some form of income tax to be used to fund services like health and education. It would mean Federal income tax rates would be reduced. Would you support or oppose this proposal?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other|
34% support allowing the states and territories to charge some form of income tax and 34% oppose. 31% could not give an opinion.
Strongest support came from Liberal/National voters (44%) and those aged under 35 (42%). All other voter groups were more likely to oppose.
Those most likely to oppose were men (42%) and aged 55+ (47%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation