Q. To what extent do you agree or disagree with each of the following statements regarding multiculturalism in Australia?
|NET: Agree||NET: Disagree||Strongly agree||Somewhat agree||Somewhat disagree||Strongly disagree||Don’t know|
|Immigration has made a positive contribution to Australian society||67%||26%||27%||40%||16%||10%||7%|
|Multiculturalism enriches the social and economic lives of Australians||67%||27%||27%||40%||18%||9%||6%|
|Multiculturalism causes social division and religious extremism in Australia||53%||40%||19%||34%||24%||16%||7%|
Over two-thirds of Australians agree that ‘Immigration has made a positive contribution to Australian society’ (67%) and ‘Multiculturalism enriches the social and economic lives of Australians’ (67%).
However, over half (53%) expressed a concern that ‘Multiculturalism causes social division and religious extremism in Australia’. Concern was highest among those aged over 55 years (60%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal voting intention
- Leader attributes: Scott Morrison
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Reason those who would get vaccinated against Covid-19 have not been vaccinated yet
- Speed of NSW lockdown
- Time for Covid-19 milestones to occur for NSW