Q. Which of the following do you think was the greatest scientific achievement of the 20th century?
|Discovery of penicillin||40%||36%||43%||24%||36%||56%|
|Launch of the World Wide Web||18%||20%||17%||21%||20%||14%|
|First person to walk on the moon||10%||11%||8%||10%||10%||9%|
|First powered aircraft flight||8%||10%||7%||12%||8%||5%|
|Generation of electricity from nuclear power||6%||6%||7%||10%||5%||4%|
|Introduction of the contraceptive pill||6%||3%||8%||8%||5%||4%|
|Invention of the television||5%||6%||4%||4%||7%||3%|
|World’s first cloned animal||2%||3%||2%||4%||2%||1%|
|First person to reach the South Pole||2%||1%||2%||4%||1%||0%|
|Other scientific achievement||3%||4%||3%||2%||5%||3%|
- The discovery of penicillin was the most selected event, with 40% selecting it as the greatest scientific achievement of the 20th
- As we approach the 50th anniversary of humans setting foot on the moon, 10% regard this as the greatest scientific achievement, behind the launch of the internet, selected by 18% of people.
- Over 55s were more likely to select the discovery of penicillin (56%) than younger respondents (36% of 35 to 54 year olds and 24% of 18 to 34 year olds).
- Those with a university education were more likely to select the launch of the World Wide Web (25%) than those with a secondary education (14%) or a professional qualification (16%).
- Just 5% regarded the invention of the television as the greatest scientific achievement of the previous century.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention