Q. Thinking about Australian industries and the ways in which the Government can give them assistance and support – which forms of assistance and support do you think the Government should give to the following industries? (multi-response)
|Lower tax rates||Direct subsidies and grants||Protection from overseas competition||Total should give assistance||Should not give any assistance||Don’t know|
|Renewable energy e.g. solar panels, wind farms||34%||56%||19%||79%||7%||14%|
|Other manufacturing e.g. clothing, whitegoods||24%||16%||43%||69%||14%||17%|
|Banking and finance||13%||3%||12%||25%||57%||18%|
|Media e.g. newspapers, TV stations||5%||5%||12%||21%||58%||21%|
More than three-quarters of respondents are in favour of Government assistance and support for agriculture and renewable energy industries. 45% believe that agriculture should receive protection from overseas competition and 56% support direct grants and subsidies for renewable energy.
About two-thirds are in favour of Government support for car and other manufacturing industries – especially protection from overseas competition.
Media (21%) and banking and finance (25%) are thought to be least deserving of Government support.
By voting intention Liberal/National voters were a little more likely to favour Government support for agriculture (87%) and mining (44%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people