Essential Report Download this weeks Report
Q. Which of the following best describes your financial situation during the Covid-19 outbreak?
|I do not expect the Covid-19 will impact my income||24%||22%||26%||16%||18%||37%||22%||28%|
|I have sufficient savings to deal with a short-term loss of income||26%||29%||22%||19%||26%||31%||28%||21%|
|I will struggle with a short-term loss of income, but will get by||29%||30%||28%||40%||28%||20%||31%||26%|
|I will be in serious financial stress with short-term loss of income||21%||18%||24%||25%||28%||11%||19%||25%|
- One in five people expect to be in serious financial stress due to a loss of income (21%), a further 29% say they will struggle.
- Women (24%), those aged 18-34 (25%) or 35-54 (28%) and those living in non-capital areas (25%) are most likely to be in serious financial stress.
- Around half people say they either have sufficient savings to manage a loss of income (26%) or will not suffer a loss of income as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak (24%).
- Those aged over 55 are more likely to be in a strong financial position, with 37% not expecting their income to be impacted and 31% having sufficient savings to manage a short-term loss of income.
|Total||Have dependent children||Do not have dependent children||In paid employment||Not in paid employment||Retired|
|I do not expect the Covid-19 will impact my income||24%||18%||28%||12%||31%||41%|
|I have sufficient savings to deal with a short-term loss of income||26%||23%||27%||27%||14%||36%|
|I will struggle with a short-term loss of income, but will get by||29%||32%||27%||37%||25%||17%|
|I will be in serious financial stress with short-term loss of income||21%||26%||18%||23%||30%||7%|
- A quarter of families with dependent children in the household expect to be in serious financial stress with a short-term loss of income.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.Download this weeks Report
Two Party Preferred: 14 May 2019
In this week's report:
2PP Abbott ALP Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Better Prime Minister Bill Shorten carbon pricing scheme Carbon Tax climate change economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Government federal politics federal politics voting intention Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party leadership Liberal Liberal Party Liberals media mining Nationals peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister tax tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention