Essential Report

Federal ICAC Timing

Nov 3, 2020

Q. Which of the following is closer to your view on Australia establishing an independent federal corruption body at this time?

  Total Federal Voting Intention
Labor Coalition Greens TOTAL: Other
Now is not the time to set up a corruption watchdog as Australia needs to deal with the pandemic first. 40% 37% 43% 30% 41%
The amounts of money being spent by the government during the pandemic makes it more necessary that a corruption watchdog is set up right now. 60% 63% 57% 70% 59%
Base (n) 1,063 352 431 85 100
  • Most people think the establishment of a federal ICAC is needed now, with 60% saying “The amounts of money being spent by the government during the pandemic makes it more necessary that a corruption watchdog is set up right now”, with the remaining 40% believing “Now is not the time to set up a corruption watchdog as Australia needs to deal with the pandemic first.”

COVID-19 RESEARCH

Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.

Sign up for updates

Receive the Essential Report in your inbox.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.