Q. How much attention have you been paying to the news, advertising and updates from the Federal Election?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Liberal / National||Vote Greens||NET: Vote Other||Last week|
|Have not been paying any attention||16%||14%||10%||17%||21%||19%|
|Have been paying little attention||29%||29%||28%||34%||30%||29%|
|Have been paying some attention||36%||38%||40%||31%||31%||33%|
|Have been paying a lot of attention||19%||19%||21%||18%||19%||20%|
|Total||Aged 18-34||Aged 35-54||Aged 55+|
|Have not been paying any attention||19%||26%||15%||9%|
|Have been paying little attention||29%||32%||33%||23%|
|Have been paying some attention||36%||28%||38%||41%|
|Have been paying a lot of attention||19%||14%||14%||28%|
- There has been limited change in the interest shown in the election during the past week. 16% (down 3%pts from 19% last week) said they have not been paying any attention to the election. This was highest among those aged 18-34 (26%).
- Engagement in the election was lower among those intending to vote for a minor or independent candidate. 21% of these voters say they haven’t been paying any attention the election.
- Older voters are so far most engaged with the election, with 28% saying they have been paying a lot of attention.
- Men were more likely than women to say they had been paying a lot of attention to the election (24% to 14%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation
Sign up for updatesReceive the Essential Report in your inbox.
2PP Abbott ALP Anthony Albanese Approval of opposition leader Approval of Tony Abbott asylum seekers Australian economy Bill Shorten Carbon Tax climate change coronavirus covid-19 economy Education Election EMC environment ER Essential Media Essential Report Federal Budget Federal Government federal politics Gillard Greens Julia Gillard kevin rudd Labor Labor Party Liberal Liberal Party Liberals mining Nationals Opposition leader peter lewis Polling polls Prime Minister Scott Morrison tony abbott two party preferred voting Voting intention