Economy: Revert to old ways vs opportunity for change

Oct 6, 2020

Q. Which of the following options is closest to your view on the best way for Australia to recover economically following the Covid-19 pandemic?

  Total Gender Age Group
  Male Female 18-34 35-54 55+
Now is not the time to experiment with new ideas, we should return to the way the economy was being run 22% 23% 22% 30% 23% 15%
The pandemic has exposed flaws in the economy and there is an opportunity to explore new ways to run the economy 78% 77% 78% 70% 77% 85%
Base (n) 1,066 531 535 340 341 385

 

  Total Federal Voting Intention
  Labor Liberal + National Greens TOTAL: Other
Now is not the time to experiment with new ideas, we should return to the way the economy was being run 22% 21% 24% 23% 22%
The pandemic has exposed flaws in the economy and there is an opportunity to explore new ways to run the economy 78% 79% 76% 77% 78%
Base (n) 1,066 332 433 91 111
  • Over three-quarters of people believe that the pandemic has exposed flaws in the economy and there is an opportunity to explore new ways to run the economy (78%) with the remaining 22% thinking that now is not the time to experiment with new ideas, we should return to the way the economy was being run.
  • Preference for exploring new ideas was selected by the majority within gender (77% of men, 78% of women), ages (70% of 18-34 year olds, 77% of 35-54 year olds and 85% of those aged over 55), and voting intention.

COVID-19 RESEARCH

Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.

Download this week's Report

Sign up for updates

Receive the Essential Report in your inbox.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.