Q. Which of the following is closer to your expectations of what will happen to the economy following the Covid-19 situation?
|The economy will rebound within 2-3 months and grow just as strong or stronger than before Covid-19||11%||13%||9%||16%||11%||9%|
|The economy will be impacted for 6-12 months or longer and will stagnate or show slow growth thereafter||51%||51%||50%||51%||45%||53%|
|Covid-19 will have long lasting impact on the economy and the country will fall into a lengthy recession||29%||28%||30%||23%||33%||30%|
- Half of people (51%) think Covid-19 will impact the economy for up to a year, with slow growth following. A further 29% believe the impact will be even more devastating, with long-lasting impact and recession.
- Younger people aged 18-34 are a little more optimistic, with 16% thinking the economy will recover within 2-3 months (compared to 9% of those aged 55+).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation