Q. Do you think the issue of same sex marriage should be decided by Parliament or should there be a national vote?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other||Aug 2015||Sep 2015||Mar 2016||Jul 2016||Vote yes||Vote no|
|Should be decided by Parliament||25%||32%||21%||40%||25%||22%||21%||23%||25%||33%||17%|
|Should have a national vote||59%||55%||66%||48%||61%||66%||67%||66%||60%||58%||68%|
59% favour a national vote on same-sex marriage and 25% think the issue should be decided by Parliament.
This represents little change since this question was asked in July.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people