Q. Do you think the issue of same sex marriage should be decided by Parliament or should there be a national vote?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other||Aug 2015||Sep 2015||Mar 2016|
|Should be decided by Parliament||25%||32%||20%||43%||19%||22%||21%||23%|
|Should have a national vote||60%||55%||67%||47%||67%||66%||67%||66%|
60% favour a national vote on same sex marriage and 25% think the issue should be decided by Parliament.
This represents a shift away from support for a national vote since this question was asked in March.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation