Q. Do you support the Government’s proposal to pay compensation to victims of child sex abuse or do you think the institutions like the churches should pay the compensation?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other|
|Support Government paying compensation||14%||18%||15%||13%||9%|
|Institutions should pay the compensation||63%||59%||65%||76%||74%|
|Neither should pay compensation||7%||6%||9%||5%||8%|
63% think that institutions should pay compensation to victims of child abuse and 14% support the Government’s proposal to pay compensation.
Those most likely to think the institutions should pay compensation were Greens voters (76%), other party voters (74%) and aged 55+ (80%).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation