Q. The Speaker of the Federal Parliament Bronwyn Bishop was recently reported to have spent over $5,000 to take a helicopter to a function in Victoria. She has since repaid this money. Do you think she should remain in the position of Speaker, stand down while her expenses are being investigated, resign as Speaker or resign from Parliament?
|Total||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote Other|
|Remain in the position of Speaker||19%||13%||34%||6%||19%|
|Stand down while an investigation is done||25%||20%||30%||31%||25%|
|Resign as Speaker||19%||24%||14%||25%||17%|
|Resign from Parliament||24%||35%||11%||30%||28%|
Only 19% think Bronwyn Bishop should remain in the position of Speaker.
25% think she should stand down while her expenses are being investigated, 19% think she should resign as Speaker and 24% think she should resign from Parliament.
34% of Liberal/National voters think she should remain as Speaker – 25% think she should resign as Speaker or from Parliament. A majority of Labor voters (59%) and Greens voters (55%) think she should resign as Speaker or from Parliament
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation