Since the Parliament passed legislation allowing refugees on Manus Island and Nauru to be evacuated to receive medical attention, the Government has reopened Christmas Island processing centre and warned that people smugglers will restart the boats.
Q. Which of the following statements most closely aligns to your view of the issue?
|Total||Male||Female||Vote Labor||Vote Lib/Nat||Vote Greens||Vote other||Aged 18-34||Aged 35-54||Aged 55+|
|The Government is genuinely concerned about border protection||52%||54%||50%||31%||81%||29%||53%||52%||47%||56%|
|The Government is using border protection as a political ploy||48%||46%||50%||69%||19%||71%||47%||48%||53%||44%|
Overall, voters are split on the issue of border protection with 52% believing the latest developments represent a genuine concern for protection, and 48% believing it to be a political ploy.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation