Q. Do you agree or disagree with the following statements about the proposed mining tax?
|Total agree||Total disagree||Strongly agree||Agree||Disagree||Strongly disagree||Don’t know|
|A mining tax is needed so that more of the profits of mining companies are kept in Australia instead of being sent overseas.||57%||24%||26%||31%||15%||9%||19%|
|A mining tax will hurt business and undermine the country’s economic recovery.||36%||44%||13%||23%||29%||15%||20%|
|It’s about time all corporations, including the miners, started paying their fair share of taxes.||62%||19%||26%||36%||13%||6%||18%|
|A miners’ tax is just another example of the Gillard ALP’s anti-business attitude.||34%||45%||16%||18%||24%||21%||21%|
|The mining companies make huge profits from resources which belong to all Australians, so all Australians should benefit from these large profits.||67%||15%||34%||33%||12%||3%||18%|
There was strong agreement that all corporations, including the miners, started paying their fair share of taxes (62%) and that all Australians should benefit from the large profits of mining companies (67%). Respondents were more likely to disagree that a mining tax will hurt business and undermine the country’s economic recovery (44% disagree/36% agree) and that the tax is just another example of the Gillard ALP’s anti-business attitude (45% disagree/34% agree).
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Federal government response to Covid-19
- State government response to Covid-19
- Views towards reopening international borders
- Views towards state border closures
- Comprehension and confidence in PM’s plan to ‘safely reopen’ Australia
- Uptake of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Necessity of mandatory vaccinations in specific situations
- Views towards easing restrictions for fully vaccinated people