Q. Do you think the following types of abuse and violence have increased or decreased in Australia over the last few years?
|Increased||Decreased||No change||Don’t know|
|Racial abuse or violence||52%||12%||27%||9%|
|Homophobic abuse or violence||33%||29%||25%||13%|
|Abuse or violence of people because of their religion||59%||9%||21%||10%|
59% think that religious abuse/violence in Australia has increased and 52% think racial abuse/violence has increased. Opinion was more divided over homophobic abuse/violence – 33% think it has increased and 29% decreased.
The main differences were between Labor and Liberal/National voters.
64% of Labor voters and 45% of LNP voters think racial abuse/violence has increased.
41% of Labor voters and 28% of LNP voters think homophobic abuse/violence has increased.
68% of Labor voters and 50% of LNP voters think religious abuse/violence has increased.
Read Essential's ongoing research on the public response to Covid-19.
In this week's report:
- Performance of Scott Morrison
- Performance of Anthony Albanese
- Preferred Prime Minister
- Views towards re-electing the federal Coalition government
- Party trust to handle issues
- Importance of Australia’s international reputation
- Scott Morrison’s impact on Australia’s international reputation
- Views towards Australia’s international reputation